Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Trials = strength & humility

One of my on-line friends posted a quote indicating that God gives us trials to make us stronger. I agree with the sentiment, but I also think there's a corollary. The trials God gives us also keeps our pride in check. Most people pride themselves on taking care of themselves, by themselves, without relying over-much on anyone else. However, when something comes up like a serious trial in our life, we learn quickly that 1. God uses them to make us stronger, 2. God can help us, and 3. God gives us friends and family as helpers.

I'm guilty of pride most of the time. I absolutely HATE to ask for help. Even now when I feel as weak as a kitten half the time b/c I'm exhausted, I'd rather do things myself even if it wears me out & takes forever. However, I'm trying to get over it. I know that my family & friends are more than willing to help me out. Part of my problem (which goes back to pride) is that I don't like for people to put themselves out for me. I'd much rather be the one doing something for someone else. Sometimes thinking that way can place more importance on self than on the actual favor they're doing. I'm currently asking God, not necessarily for healing (although that would be GREAT!), but mainly for help. Not only do I need help doing some day-to-day tasks, but I also need help dealing w/ everything that's going on, and maintaining what I've already got.

I know that I'm tremendously blessed to have what I have - even w/ the complications I have in my life right now. Actually, the complications are giving me the opportunity to count my blessings. I have a wonderful husband & son, as well as a daughter on the way. My parents are exceptional. We have a good home. I have awesome co-workers who are actually friends instead of mere co-workers. I have great friends - some that I've met face-to-face, but also ones that have offered their friendship through the internet. In general I'm a very lucky woman.

Sometimes people comment that they think I'm a hero. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm no hero - I'm just an average gal who sometimes seems to have a good way of dealing with things. People face more substantial challenges every-day than mine and they do a better job dealing with it than I do. However, we are all called to do the best we can with what we have been given. I've been given more than some and possibly less than others. However, what I've been given is PERFECT for me. Thank you God & everyone!

No comments:

Total Pageviews

Smiling already at 2 weeks

Smiling already at 2 weeks
Rachel has been smiling as a response to other people since day one.

And two shall become one...

And two shall become one...
In 2006, Andrew & I became one before God and family! Shortly thereafter we became 3 with the birth of Simon in 2008... Then 4 with the addition of Rachel in 2009!

Erika's Miracle Journey Continues's Fan Box